MA Program of Study
Requirements: Minimum 40 hours, 12 of which must be 500-level courses
- Required Course: LAST 550 (Interdisciplinary Seminar in Latin American Studies) - 4 hours
This course is specifically designed for students in the Latin American Studies MA program and examines the interconnections among research approaches and problems in the field of Latin American and Caribbean Studies.
- Electives: 24 hours in 400- and 500-level courses which focus on Latin America or the Caribbean from at least three different departments or instructional units. At least 8 of these hours must be taken in one (primary) discipline.
- Theory or Research Methods: 4 hours in 400- or 500-level course on theory or research methods appropriate to the student's objectives and primary discipline.
- MA Research-Writing Requirement: LAST 599 (Thesis Research) - 4 hours
Before registering for LAST 599, students need to choose an MA committee composed of 2 faculty members: The Advisor and instructor of LAST 599 who serves as supervisor of the research writing project and a second reader. The committee meets with the student at least once upon concluding a draft of the MA thesis or research papers for assessment and approval.
- Language Proficiency Requirement: Demonstration of a communicative competence in Spanish, Portuguese, or language indigenous to Latin America (excluding English) equivalent to six semesters' of undergraduate work. This competence must cover the three skills of comprehension, oral production, and reading. Such proficiency can be demonstrated through testing by the appropriate department.
Proficiency in Spanish or Portuguese will be tested by the Department of Spanish, Italian and Portuguese through procedures developed by that department. Students can also demonstrate language proficiency by completion of 8 graduate hours in 400- or 500-level coursework with a grade of B or higher taught in the target language.
- Language Training: Students may use 4 graduate hours at the 400-level or above for language training.
- Maintain a GPA of 3.25 or higher.